Guide: Setting Up git for Data Science Discovery
To set up git, there are certain commands you will run:
- Once for the entire semester (“Course Setup”),
- Once for each computer you use (“Computer Setup”),
- Once each time you work on Data Science Discovery (“Assignment Setup”)
To begin to work on assignments and turn in work, you will need to create a git repository for the course.
- Follow the link below to create your repository.
- DO NOT go to the link given to you, you will use that link later in Step 3.
- Visit: https://edu.cs.illinois.edu/create-ghe-repo/cs240-fa20/
On your computer, go to your Desktop and create a
cs240folder on your Desktop
- Now, going back and using your terminal/command line, run the following commands to navigate into your
cd Desktop cd cs240
- Clone a local copy of your git repository with the following command
(making sure to replace
YOUR-GIT-REPO-URLwith the URL from the “Course Setup” above):
git clone YOUR-GIT-REPO-URL
- Navigate into your git directory by going into your NetID-named folder:
- Set up a connection to the
_releaserepository where code will be released for you:
- If the command worked, nothing will show up when you run this command. (No output means no error! :))
- If you are not sure, you can run it again and it will say that “the remote already exists”.
git remote add release https://github-dev.cs.illinois.edu/cs240-fa20/_release.git
- Let git know who you are REPLACE YOUR NAME and EMAIL with your name/email:
git config user.name "Your Name" git config user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Common Setup Errors
Windows 10 - “Invalid Credentials”
If you are using Windows 10 and getting “invalid credentials”:
- In your Start menu, type “Credential Manager” and run it.
- Inside of the credential manager, click “Windows Credentials”
- Under “Generic Credentials”, find github-dev.cs.illinois.edu and edit your password.
Each assignment will provide specific instructions on how to use git to fetch and submit your work.