TAM 212: Dynamics

General Info

Grades Formal Assessment Contact Info
Lectures Grading Discussions Office hours
Website TAM 2XX Policies   Online forum
Course description      
Reference text      



Prof. Ertekin: MWF, 2-3pm, Materials Science & Eng Bld | Room 100

Prof. Golecki: MWF, 3-4pm, Materials Science & Eng Bld | Room 100

Click for Lecture Notes

Click for Lecture Recordings (AE1), (AE2)

Website: The official class website is http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/tam212/

Description:Kinematics and dynamics of the three-dimensional motion of particles; kinematics and dynamics of the plane motion of rigid bodies; methods of work/energy and impulse/momentum; moving reference frames.

Prerequisites: TAM 210 or TAM 211.

Reference Texts: Dynamics reference pages

Alternative Texts:

  • R. C. Hibbeler, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 13th edition, Prentice Hall, 2012, ISBN 0132911272, (Amazon).
  • G. Gray, F. Costanzo, and M. Plesha, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 1st edition, McGraw-Hill, 2009, ISBN 0077275543 (Amazon).
  • D. J. McGill and W. W. King, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 4th edition, Tichenor Publishing, 2003, ISBN 0742134938, (Amazon).

Grading: The total score for the course is computed with the following weights.

Online quizzes 40% Online homework 15%
Final Exam 30% Discussion worksheets 10%
In-lecture iClickers 5%    

Retake Quizzes: Optional retake quizzes are available in the week following each first-chance quiz. If you choose to take the retake quiz, the quiz score will be 90% of the higher scores + 10% of the lower score (0.9*max(first_chance_score, retake_score)+0.1*min(first_chance_score, retake_score)). If you do not take the first-chance-quiz, then your score will be 90% of the retake score.

TAM 2XX Policies: General TAM 2XX course policies may be found at: http://mechref.engr.illinois.edu/pol/policies.html

Discussion Sections: The discussion section schedule is listed below, and all discussions sections meet in 0023 Sidney Lu Mech Engr Bldg.

  Thursday Friday






















You are encouraged to bring a tablet or laptop to discussion section to access the online reference pages.

Office Hours: Office hours are held in 1043 Sidney Lu Mech Engr Bldg. Office hours start on Tuesday in Week 2 of the semester.

  Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
6 - 8 pm






Online forum (Campuswire): TAs and CAs are scheduled to be checking Campuswire on the following days:

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday