All assignments have posted due dates and times, and extensions will not be granted except in extraordinary circumstances. Points will be deducted for assignments turned in after the posted deadline. Some assignments, as noted, will be eligible for additional rewrite points if they have been submitted by the deadline. An assignment summary lists the course components and points for each assignment.
Turn in homework assignments by uploading to the my.physics secure portal by the posted deadline.
Scroll down the page for instructions for Colloquium Reports.
- Evaluating Titles Due Sept 1
- Understanding a Paper Due Sept 8
- Title and Abstract Due Sept 15
- Explaining Physics Concepts to Non-Scientists—Draft Due Sept 22
- Explaining Physics Concepts to Non-Scientists—FINAL Due Sept 29
- Peer Reviews Due Oct 6 Review Criteria
- Presentation Basics Due Oct 13
- Short Science Talk—Draft Slides Due Oct 20
- Evaluating Figures & Figure Captions Due Oct 27
- Short Science Talk Present during class on Nov 3
- Making Your Own Figures and Captions Due Nov 10
- Resume and Statement of Purpose/Cover Letter Due Nov 17
- Team Journal-Club Presentation Present during class on Dec 1
(note that this assignment consists of multiple parts, each having separate due dates)
Oct 20--submit title of JC paper to Professor Hughes
Nov 9--last day for team to meet with Professor Hughes
Nov 27--submit draft slides for feedback
Dec 1--present journal club talk in class
Example of a Student JC Presentation
All homework assignments are due by 9:00 p.m. on the due date, unless otherwise indicated, and are to be uploaded to the portal on my.physics. Consult the instructions for individual assignments for exact deadlines and eligibility for rewrite points.
In addition to the homework assignments shown above, students are required to attend two departmental colloquia or appropriate special lectures (check with Celia on suitability of lectures other than Physics or Astronomy colloquia) of their choice during the semester and submit a written report of each.
The deadlines for receipt of colloquium reports are as follows:
Report #1—Due by 9:00 p.m., Friday, Sept 22; rewrites will not be accepted after Friday, Oct 20
Report #2—Due by 9:00 p.m., Friday, 10/27; rewrites will not be accepted after Friday, Dec 1
Late reports will be downgraded. No colloquium reports (initial or rewrites) will be accepted after November 28.
The reports are worth 50 points each. Reports should be uploaded to the portal on my.physics when complete. Early submissions will be gratefully accepted.