Spring 2020 Compass2g 441-on-Piazza 

ECE 441: PHYSICS AND MODELING OF SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES

Course Overview: This course focuses on the derivation of models for the terminal currents of the semiconductor devices used in integrated circuits: diode, bipolar junction transistor and MOSFET. Our objective will be to represent the device’s steady-state response; however, we will also discuss how to extend the models to the transient case. Throughout the semester, we will study semiconductor physics, focusing on topics such as drift and diffusion, generation and recombination, and avalanche multiplication. In the latter part of the semester, we will explore the motivations behind recent modifications to the basic transistor structures, such as the adoption of high-k gate dielectrics for MOSFETs.  

Course Expectations and Outcome: I expect students to do the reading before and after class and monitor all email and online communication related to this class. Ultimately, I want the student to enjoy this course and find it relevant in their career goals. Technical outcomes of this course are: 

• Understand different types of passive and active semiconductor devices
• Appreciate how physics emerges due to unique materials and device architectures
• Be familiar with device scaling challenges
• Be introduced to new device materials and device approaches as well as other transistors
• Have the confidence to go “one-on-one” with device engineers and researchers

Section Time Room Instructor Office Hours Office
X

MWF

10:00-10:50 AM

3081 ECEB

Shaloo Rakheja

rakheja@illinois.edu

Thurs 3:00 PM 3104 MNTL

I occasionally need to shift my office hours to accommodate prelim exams, travel, etc., so always check the class webpage before coming to office hour on any given day. Any changes to my office hours will be listed under “Announcements.” on Piazza. Please drop me an email if you want to meet me outside of office hours. 

Teaching Assistants: Bohau Wu - bohaowu@illinois.edu - Office Hours: To Be Announced (Use Piazza for quicker response)

Course Outline: Specified Here

Course Material: Lecture notes and slides are based on the material from textbook: Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits, 3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons. Authors: Richard S. Muller and Theodore I. Kamins. However, I will be posting extra reading materials, journal articles, discussion pages on as-needed basis. It is the student's responsibility to go through all the posted materials and ask questions if in doubt. There will be some material that is more advanced and posted only for those interested. You will not be quizzed on it, but feel free to come to office hours to discuss advanced material and research ideas based on it.  

Lecture Date Lecture Notes Other Materials
January 22, 2020 Link  

Homework: Will be assigned on Piazza under Resources and Compass2g.

Exams: Two midsemester exams and one final exam. Exam dates: March 2nd (midsem exam 1), April 17th (midsem exam 2). Final exam data will be announced later in class. If you have any special circumstances or feel you have a conflict with any exam(s), see your instructor to make arrangements.

Grading Policy:

Homework 27.5% of total
Attendance 5%
Midsemester Exams 30% of total 
Final Exam (comprehensive) 37.5% of total

Attendance will be recorded at the beginning of the lecture. Allowed to skip two classes without impact on attendance grade. If you’re skipping more than two classes due to health related or personal emergency, please email me and provide appropriate documentation. 

Communication during class: Please do not use your smartphones and other communication devices during class unless a problem is assigned for which you need your laptop or calculator on your phone. Under normal circumstances, you are expected to turn-off these devices.