CS 598KN - Fall 2019 – Advanced Multimedia Systems
1.Week - August 27 – August 29 (Media and Coding)
August 27: Introduction to Course and Image/Video Media (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
August 29: Basics of Video Compression (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
2.Week – September 3 – September 5 (Media and Coding)
September 3: JPEG/JPEG2000, MPEG (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
September 5: H.264, MPEG-HEVC/H.265 Coding and Beyond HEVC (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
Optional Reading: Gong, Mao, “ An overview of Emerging Video Coding Standards”, ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Reviews (GetMobile), December 2018, Vol.22, Issue 4
3.Week – September 10 – September 12 (Multimedia Networks)
September 10: Introduction to Audio/MP3 and to QoS/Multimedia Networks (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
September 12: Introduction to Multimedia Streaming (presented by Jounsup Park)
Optional Reading: Sani, Mauthe, Edwards, “Adaptive Bitrate Selection: A Survey”, IEEE Communications Survey & Tutorials, 2017.
4. Week – September 17 – September 19 (Multimedia Streaming)
September 17: Transport and ABR in Multimedia Communication (presented by students)
- Nathan et al., “End-to-End Transport for Video QoE Fairness”, ACM SIGCOMM 2019, Beijing, China, August 2019
- Chaitra Niddodi - Present
- Alt, et al. “CBA: Contextual Quality Adaptation for Adaptive Bitrate Video Streaming”, IEEE INFOCOM 2019, Paris, France, May 2019.
- Hongpeng Guo - Present/Pose Questions
September 19: Caching (presented by students)
- Koch et al. “Category-aware Hierarchical Caching for Video-on-Demand Content on YouTube”, ACM Multimedia Systems 2018.
- Lihao Lu - Present
- Ishan Shah - Review
- Ghandeharizadeh, Shayahdeh, “Domical Cooperative Caching for Streaming Media in Wireless Home Networks”, ACM TOMCCAP, 2011, 7(4)
- Lingzhi Chu - Present
- Amit Patil - Review
5. Week – September 24 – September 26 (Multimedia Streaming)
September 24 : DASH Multimedia Streaming (presented by students)
· Altamini, Shirmohammadi, “Client-Server Cooperative and Fair DASH Video Streaming”, ACM NOSSDAV 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Weiran Lin - Present/Pose Questions
- Kexiang Wang - Review
· Ahsan, et al, “DASHing Towards Hollywood”, ACM Multimedia Systems (MMSys), 2018, Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 2018
- Anjali Menon - Present
- Vedaanta Agarwalla - Review
September 26: Multimedia Streaming Adaptation (presented by students)
- Spiteri, Sitaraman, Sparacio, “From Theory to Practice: Improving Bitrate Adaptation in the DASH Reference Player”, ACM MMSys 2018.
- Tanzhen Li - Present
- Amit Patil - Lead Discussion/Pose Questions/Lead Discussions
- Cicco et al. “ERUDITE: A Deep Neural Network for Optimal Tuning of Adaptive Video Streaming Controllers”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Tanzhen Li - Present/Pose Questions
- Yilin Ma - Review
6. Week – October 1 – October 3 (Multimedia Distribution)
October 1: Mobile/Wireless Video Streaming (presented by students)
· B. Taani, R. Zimmerman, “Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Bandwidth Maps for Geo-Predictive Video Streaming in Mobile Environments”, ACM MM’16, Amsterdam, Netherlands, October 2016..
- Ishan Shah - Present
- Anjali Menon - Review
· Tsilimantos et al, “Classifying flows and buffer state for YouTube’s HTTP adaptive streaming service in mobile networks”, ACM MMSys 2018, Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 2018
- Eric Lee - Present/Pose Questions
- Weiran Lin - Review
October 3: Introduction to Multimedia Distribution Networks (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
DEADLINE FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS - October 3, 2019, 11:59pm
7. Week - October 8 – October 10 (Multimedia Distribution Networks)
October 8: Video Distribution – Edge Computing (presented by students)
- Yi, et al. “LAVEA: Latency-aware Video Analytics on Edge Computing Platform”, ACM Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC), 2017, San Jose, CA, October 2017.
- Lingzhi Chu - Present
- Andrew Yoo - Lead Discussion/Pose Questions/Summarize Answers
- Feng, Hong, Gupta, “Serving Deep Neural Networks at the Cloud Edge for Vision Applications on Mobile Platforms”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Amit Patil - Present
- Vedaanta Agarwalla - Lead Discussion/Pose Questions/Summarize Answers
- Hongpeng Guo - Review
October 10: Video Distribution - Edge Computing (presented by students)
· Wang et al., “Bandwidth-efficient Live Video Analytics for Drones via Edge Computing”, ACM SEC 2018, Seattle, WA, October 2018.
- Hongpeng Guo - Present
- Zhijian Yang - Review
· Hung et al., “VideoEdge: Processing Camera Streams using Hierarchical Clusters”, ACM SEC 2018, Seattle, MA, October 2018.
- Kexiang Wang - Present/Pose Questions
- Andrew Yoo - Review
8. Week – October 15 – October 17 (Multimedia Distribution Networks)
October 15: Content Distribution (presented by students)
· Zhe et al, “When Cloud Meets Uncertain Crowd: An Auction Approach for Crowdsourced Livecast Transcoding”, ACM Multimedia 2017
- Ishan Shah - Present/Pose Questions
· Khalid et al., “An SDN-based Device-aware Live Video Service for Inter-Domain Adaptive Bitrate Streaming”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Anjali Menon - Present/Pose Questions
October 17: Large Scale CDNs (presented by students)
· J. Zhao, Ch. Wu, X. Lin, “Locality-aware streaming in hybrid P2P-cloud CDN systems”, Peer-to-Peer Network Applications, 2015, 8:320-335.
· Yan et al. “LiveJack: Integrating CDNs and Edge Clouds for Live Content Broadcasting”, ACM Multimedia 2017.
- Andrew Yoo - Present
- Tanshen Li - Review
9. Week – October 22 – October 24 (TAKE-HOME EXAM)
October 22: Introduction to Video 360 (presented by Jounsup Park)
MIDTERM EXAM POSTED ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2019, 5PM
October 24: NO CLASS (Take-Home Exam)
MIDTERM EXAM SUBMISSION DUE MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, 11:59PM
10. Week - October 29 – October 31 (Mobile VR, Cloud Gaming, 360 Video Streaming)
October 29: Mobile VR and Mobile Cloud Gaming (presented by Students)
· Shi et al., “Mobile VR on Edge Cloud: A Latency-Drive Design”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019
- Ching-Hua Yu - Present
- Lihao Lu - Lead Discussion/Pose Questions/Summarize Answers
- Lingzhi Chu - Review
· T. Kamarainen, M. Siekkinen, A. Ylia-Jaaski, W. Zhang, P. Hui, “A Measurement Study on Achieving Imperceptible Latency in Mobile Cloud Gaming”, ACM MMSys 2017, Taipei, Taiwan
- Zhijian Yang - Present/Pose Questions
- Chaitra Niddodi - Review
October 31: Video 360 Streaming (presented by Students)
- Xiao et al, “OpTile: Toward Optimal Tiling in 360-degree Video Streaming”, ACM Multimedia 2017
- Mingyuan Wu - Present/Pose Questions
- Guan et al., “Pano: Optimizing 360 Video Streaming with better understanding of quality perception”, ACM SIGCOMM 2019, Beijing, China, August 2019
- Kexiang Wang - Present
- Lihao Lu - Review
11. Week – November 5 – November 7
November 5: Video 360 and Gaze Prediction (presented by students)
- “360-degree Video Gaze Behavior: A Ground-Truth Data Set and a Classification Algorithm for Eye Movements”, ACM Multimedia 2019, Nice, France, October 2019
- Mingyuan Wu - Present
- Eric Lee - Review
- Jha et al., “Estimation of Gaze Region Using Two Dimensional Probabilistic Maps Constructed Using Convolutional Neural Networks”, IEEE ICASSP 2019, Brighton, UK, May, 2019.
- Eric Lee - Present
- Mingyuan Wu - Review
November 7: Video 360 (presented by Jounsup Park)
- Dr. Park presents paper: Park et al., “Navigation Graph in Tiled Streaming Media”, ACM Multimedia 2019, Nice, France, October 2019.
12. Week – November 12 – November 14 (Video 360)
November 12: Introduction to Synchronization (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
November 14: Audio and Video/VR 360 (presented by students)
· Rana et al., “Towards Generating Ambisonics using audio-visual cue for virtual reality”, ICASSP 2019 - 2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Brighton, UK, May 2019
- Zhijian Yang - Present
- Ching-Hua Yu - Review
· Pang et al. “Towards Low Latency Multi-viewpoint 360° Interactive Video: A Multimodal Deep Reinforcement Learning Approach”, IEEE INFOCOM 2019, Paris, France, May 2019.
- Vedaanta Agarwalla - Present
13. Week – November 19 – November 21 (Quality of Experience and Mulsemedia)
November 19: Introduction to QoE (presented by Klara Nahrstedt)
Optional Reading: Wu et al. “Quality of Experience in Distributed Interactive Multimedia Environments: A Theoretical Framework”, ACM Multimedia 2009.
November 21: Mulsemedia and QoE (presented by students)
- “360° Mulsemedia: A Way to Improve Subjective QoE in 360° Videos”, ACM Multimedia 2019, Nice, France, October 2019
- Jose et al., “Mulsemedia Preparation” A New Event Type for preparing media object presentation and sensory effect rendering”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Yilin Ma - Present/Pose Questions
14. Week – November 26 – November 28 (THANKSGIVING BREAK)
15. Week – December 3 – December 5 (Quality of Experience)
December 3: QoE Assessment (presented by students)
- Vellingiri, Prabhakran, “Modeling User Quality of Experience (QoE) through Position Discrepancy in Multi-Sensorial, Immersive, Collaborative Environments”, ACM MMSys 2017, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ching-Hua Yu - Present/Pose Questions
- Singla et al., “Subjective Evaluation of tile-based streaming for omni-directional video”, ACM MMSys 2019, Amherst, MA, June 2019.
- Chaitra Niddodi - Present/Pose Questions
December 5: Final Project Presentations (presented by students)
16. Week – December 10-December 11 (Last Day of Instruction)
December 10: Final Project Presentations (presented by students)
17. Week – December 13 – December 20 (Final Report)
December 18: Final Project Report Due December 18 (Wednesday), 11:59pm