CS 421: Programming Languages and Compilers
News for Fall 2023
  • 12/05/23 - Great semester! Please check Piazza for a logistics post. Notably, I will have extra office hours on Thursday (please see Piazza). In addition, the final will be Tuesday, December 12th from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM in CIF 3031. (This is near the room where class is, but it is not the same room.) Please try to be a bit early to check in. Good luck! - TR

• 11/06/23 - The study materials and syllabus for Midterm 3 are now up! Please register in CBTF if you haven't yet. - TR

• 10/17/23 - Immediately after Quiz 4, everyone will have a chance to do a retake of the ADT question from Midterm 2. Your score on that question on the midterm will be the maximum of your two attempts. See Piazza for more information. - TR

• 10/08/23 - The MP6 deadline has been extended for one week so that folks can focus on the midterm for Thursday, and since we are a bit behind. Please sign up for the midterm at CBTF if you are yet to do so! - TR

• 9/29/23 - I will be away on Tuesday and Thursday of next week. This is my last planned absence of the semester. Prof. Elsa Gunter will cover class. Please show up, especially since there is a quiz on Tuesday, which will still happen. Thanks! - TR

• 9/14/23 - I will be away on Tuesday running a workshop on AI for Math at the National Academies in DC. I will record the lecture ahead of time and post it in advance. There will be no in-person lecture on Tuesday; I will see you all Thursday. I will post the first section-C-only extra credit assignment today on Piazza. - TR

• 9/09/23 - The syllabus for Midterm1 and a sample exam have been posted on the exams webpage. The Midterm 1 exam period is from next Thursday, September 14, through Saturday, September 16. If you have not registered in prairietest.org, you should do so as soon as possible. - ELG

• 9/03/23 - Prof. Elsa Gunter will cover class this week while I am on bereavement leave. My office hours will not happen. Class will still happen at the same time in the same place, and my slides will still be available on the lecture page (Lecture 5 slides are already up). Makeup quizzes are still happening Tuesday as planned as well. I will see you next week. (Please thank Elsa!) - TR

• 9/01/23 - Paul's office hours on Tuesday will be covered by Ben from Elsa's section. Same time, same Zoom link as Paul's normal office hours. - TR

• 8/28/23 - The first quiz is tomorrow, August 29th. Please show up to class! You must be there to take the quiz. If you absolutely cannot make it, or need any accomodations, please reach out. Thank you! - TR

• 8/22/23 - Welcome to CS421, Fall 2023, sections CU and CG, at 12:30pm TR in CIF 3025. This page will be the main bulletin board for the course, and hence is always under construction. Please check it frequently. Essential notices will be posted here.

We will also be using PrairieLearn this semester. Please go to https://www.prairielearn.org and add CS 421: Programming Languages and Compilers, Fall 2023 as one of your courses there for this semester. - TR
  • README
    Objectives
    Contacting Staff
    Submitting Assignments
    Extensions
    Regrade Policy
    Collaboration
    Policy on Cheating
    Grading
    Textbooks
    FAQ

Class Schedule
    Lecture:
    Tues, Thurs 12:30pm - 1:45pm
    3025 Campus Instructional Facility

Staff
    Instructor
    Talia Ringer
    Email: tringer@illinois.edu
    Website: https://dependenttyp.es
    Office: 4218 SC
    Hours: Mondays 3:30PM-4:30PM
                 Also by appointment (scheduling link here)

Teaching Assistants
    Paul M Krogmeier
    Email: paulmk2@illinois.edu
    Office Hours Zoom Info: click here
    Hours: Tuesdays 10:00AM-11:40AM

James Luo
    Email: kaiyuan8@illinois.edu
    Office Hours Zoom Info: click here
    Hours:Wednesdays 10:00AM - 11:40 AM