Hi everyone! QUIZ 1 is on Wednesday October 14, 6:40 - 7:20 pm in Zoom room "velury". (i.e. it will take up the second half of the first discussion period) We decided to have more frequent, shorter quizzes instead of longer midterms so even though Quiz 1 is in week 8, we are only covering our first two topics: . 1-electron atomic structure . many-electron atomic structure These correspond roughly to week 2 through half-of-week-5. To study, please review . Lectures 2A through 5B *except for start of perturbation theory in 5B* . Discussion 2, 3, 4 . Homeworks 3, 4 I have not included week 1 because it was review of 486, but *of course* it is understood that techniques from 486 may be needed to solve 487 problems. The corresponding textbook sections are . xxxxx coming up, just a second xxxxx The formula sheets that will be provided are in the top-level folder: Formulae-1Dmath and Formulae-3DMath Formulae-486-Final Formulae-487-Quiz1 (which includes CG tables) -------------------- HOW MANY QUESTIONS -------------------- I am often asked "HOW MANY QUESTIONS WILL BE ON THE EXAM/QUIZ"? Answer: irrelevant, only time matters. There will be as many questions as I can (re)-solve at full speed in / k, where k is a real number between pi and 4. ---------------------------------- SMALL SPEECH ABOUT HOW TO STUDY ---------------------------------- Good studying involves two activities. In no particular order, they are (a) PRACTICE and (b) STRUCTURE. For (a), go back through the problems from { lecture, discussion, homework }. Textbook examples are also very good practice material. Just know that, since we are never following any textbook exactly, I will never ask a textbook question that you cannot solve with the tools we've learned in { lecture, discussion, homework } For (b), imagine that everything we've learned is a messy pile of tools thrown into a bag. To make those tools useful, you must IDENTIFY them all, then ORGANIZE them. You need to label your tools, then sort them into an orderly mental TOOLBOX with labelled drawers and sub-compartments. The formula sheet is a bare-minimum version of such a structured toolbox; the topic list in the INFO-Syllabus file is another version. The very best thing to do is to build your own. The most common MISTAKES I've seen in the way people study are : (1) Not going back to REVIEW EVERYTHING. A HIGH-SPEED READ through all the lectures, discussions, and homeworks and appendices therein from the relevant weeks is *invaluable*. A great way to build that structured toolbox I mentioned above is to ● make quick notes by writing down key points, formulae, or techniques as you encounter them during your high-speed read, then ● reorganize those points into a structure that makes sense to YOU. ==> Don't spend all your time (a) practicing, be sure to (b) REVIEW too! (2) Relying too much on OLD EXAMS. They inevitably contain only a *small sample* of what we covered and can lead to a false sense of security if all you do is practice exams. MUCH better is to review all { homework, lecture, discussion } content and re-work the problems we did, supplemented with examples from the relevant textbook sections. If you want to hear more about the crucial process of structuring material please ask me in lecture and I will happily regurgitate my standard speech. :-) Cheers! Naomi