PHYS 100 :: Physics Illinois :: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Announcements

If I want to get started early on the HW, can I?

HW1A is due on Sunday, and HW1B is due on Tuesday. Some homework clusters in smartPhysics are "Mastery Homework" clusters. You get 4 tries to get a set of questions on a similar topic correct. For questions that you miss in your tries, you can see video solutions for how to solve it.

I will talk more about how to do the homeworks in lecture on Friday, but if you want to get started early, here are some instructions for how the mastery homework works: link.

Are there any assignments due before the first class?

Please read this document for what to do before your first discussion section/lecture.

Q: Do we have any assignments due before the first lecture?
A: Yes! (They're listed in the document above.
)

All future announcements will be posted on the Piazza course page

See it here: https://piazza.com/illinois/fall2020/phys100

Learning in the time of COVID-19

This semester is unusual! In addition to the usual demands of your courses, we're also dealing with all the extra rules, complications, and stress in our lives caused by social distancing rules. Please take care of your health and well-being! I trust that you want to learn and do well, but if you ever have to make a choice between health/safety and physics, please choose health/safety.

We have policies for excused absenses and make-up work, but if you are facing challenges that go beyond these, please get in contact with me (Eric) and we'll work it out.

Course Description

Please see the course description for an explanation of how this course works. It may seem complicated at first, but all the pieces do work together to enhance understanding. The course description also gives important details on our policies for missed exams, and quizzes. Also, please consult the syllabus to help you keep track of what is due when.

iClickers

We will be using iClickers software to take class polls in every lecture. You can vote using "iClicker Reef" through a phone/tablet app (iOS or Android) or by logging into the iclicker website. The separate iClicker remotes can't be used through remote, online lecture. You can click here for step-by-step instructions for how to register and use an iClicker account (bullet points below). Note: Having another student answer questions using your clicker account is considered cheating.

Safety Announcements

Even though this course is fully online, it's important that we all follow COVID-19 safety and testing protocols, for our own health and the health of those around us. Keeping the U of I campus open depends on how well we follow these protocols.

U of I COVID-19 Testing Information
U of I COVID-19 Safety Training (20 minutes)

You can also see the general Emergency Response Recommendations issued by the University.

Excused Absences

The excused absence policy is described below. For issues not covered by this policy, let me (Eric) know.

The only course components eligible to be issued a grade of EX are discussions and exams (except for the final). Please submit your excused absence no later than 12 business days from your absence via the Excused Absences application. For more information regarding this course's excuses policy, please refer to the Attendance Policy page.

Academic Integrity

All activities in this course, including documentation submitted for petition for an excused absence, are subject to the Academic Integrity rules as described in Article 1, Part 4, Academic Integrity, of the Student Code.

Tutorial on derivatives

A tutorial on derivatives (as used in this course): Download PowerPoint or Follow this link.