ME 420 - Intermediate Heat Transfer
Last offered Fall 2022
Detailed Course Description
Conduction heat transfer, radiation heat transfer, mass transfer, phase change, heat exchangers; numerical methods. Prerequisite: ME 310 and ME 320; or equivalents. 4 undergraduate hours or 4 graduate hours.
2. Steady heat conduction: extended surface problems (fins), special functions, multidimensional steady problems, separation of variables and orthogonal functions
3. Unsteady heat conduction: lumped parameter analysis with various boundaries, finite and semi-finite bodies
4. Numerical methods
5. Radiation properties of solids: property definitions, directional and spectral effects
6. Radiant surface exchange: shape factors, diffuse gray analysis, specular analysis
7. Radiant exchange in participating media
8. Mass transfer
9. Condensation and boiling
10. Heat exchangers
ME: MechSE or technical elective.
EM: Possible secondary field, with approval.
|Intermediate Heat Transfer||A1||58135||LCD||4||1300 - 1350||M W F||1043 Sidney Lu Mech Engr Bldg||Nick G Glumac|